My first Pinguicula cross - P. hirtiflora var. hirtiflora x megaspilaea



Wow! Look at those seeds. I had no idea this cross would be so successful. About a month ago, I took pollen from my P. hirtiflora and transmitted it to the stigma of one of my P. megaspilaea flowers, and visa-versa. While the cross I attempted of megaspilaea x hirtiflora var. hirtiflora seemed successful at first, the pod never fully matured, and when I opened it after the stalk died, I found only few, very thin, infertile-looking seeds (note: pollen receiver, the mother plant, is listed first). The seeds off of the hirtiflora look like they have embreyos, they are in fact quite large, I'd estimate about a millimeter long. Hopefully, I get some offspring with some nice flowers. The two parent plants are very closely related, both genetically and physically, so I'm more so hoping for some offspring with an odd mutation rather than a blending of traits. Here are pictures of the parent plants:

A flower of P. megaspilaea, also, some P. emarginata flowers are visible

P. megaspilaea, these are all the same clone, the foliage on them is exceptionally beautiful

P. hirtiflora var. hirtiflora, the flowers on this one have some nice veniation

Comments

Popular Posts